Thursday 30 August 2012

Pâte de Verre

 One of the things I hope to do before the end of my course is to combine glass and ceramics.
During the Creative approaches project, I did some experimentation with Pâte de Verre.
Pâte de Verre translates literally to 'Glass Paste'. You pack glass powder or crushed frit (mixed with water and fusing glue) into a mold and fire to low temperature so that the glass fuses but doesn't completely melt.
I really like the texture this process produces and heard that you can add it to ceramic - an easy way to combine glass and ceramic - so I wanted to give it a try.
 

 
Packed into a female mold
 


Pasted on top of a male mold.
 
 
Applied onto glazed tiles. Stayed very well!!
 

 
SUCCESS!!
 
 
Applied to final pieces.
The pattern represents a river running through a landscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment